A few friends met up some days ago and in talking about events that have happened in the country in the past year, came up with this idea: what if on Malaysia Day we all fast for peace for our nation? The idea grew into a plan and now, it has become a nationwide call for action.
"Fast for the Nation, Peace for Malaysia" is our response to this call. Please read below and join us:
Malaysia is a peaceful country and it should remain that way forever. Acts of Violence and inciting hatred must have no place in our public life.
Unfortunately, too many cruelties and injustices have happened since the nation’s last birthday.
It is tempting to slip into despair or become revengeful. Let us turn our anger and sadness into a positive force for change.
This September 16, let us all combine our efforts to present a meaningful gift for Malaysia on her 46th birthday.
Let us be united in one single action. Let us all fast from dawn to dusk for peace in this blessed land. Let the Muslims amongst us fast with a specific prayer for peace for the nation. Let the Baha'is, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, Taoists, followers of other spiritual traditions and atheists amongst us fast in solidarity and the same determination for peace.
Let our common experience of hunger and human weakness humble, strengthen and unite us.
Let us offer a hospitable smile to people we know and especially to those we don’t.
Let us perform one extra act of kindness while fasting on this Malaysia day.
Let us show our love and compassion for each other.
Let Malaysia be a better country on her 46th birthday and every day after.
Let Malaysia be truly happy and peaceful this September 16.
And so we fast.
. . . . . . to make room for peace!
Things you can do and How do you join?:
1. Sign up.
- e-mail your pledge to fast on Sept 16, 2009, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
or SMS to 016-9707966
or leave a comment at http://peace4msia.blogspot.com/
(If you want, you may include your age and location)
or sign the petition here http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/peace4msia/
2. Forward this e-mail to your circle of friends, family and colleagues. Please try to get your friends and family from outside the Klang Valley to sign up as well
3. Come to the press conference to announce this initiative: Friday, 11am, Sept 11, 2009, at the Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall
4. Break fast (or have the pre-fast meal) together wherever your location is and send pics and caption to: email@example.com
Here are the standard recommendations which you may modify according to your preferences, medical conditions and other circumstances.
• Get a group of at least three people.
• Have your pre-fast meal together before dawn (e.g. before 5.35am for Muslims*). The meal is preferably vegetarian to be inclusive to all.
• Carry out your daily duties and tasks as usual.
• Smile and do an extra act of kindness to people around you or afar.
• Share your message of peace with every curious person.
• Break your fast together after dusk(e.g. after 7.25 pm for Muslims*). The meal is preferably vegetarian to be inclusive to all.
• Share your experience, feeling and thought in this national fasting exercise with more people, in every possible way.
Plotting goodness with friends,
On behalf of
"Fast for the Nation, Peace for the Nation 2009" Core Group